Judging Criteria, Divisions, Awards
All schools that participate in Wakakirri are graded into a Division so schools compete at a similar level. This is done so schools have a fair playing field making sure the competition is equitable. Schools are automatically graded into Divisions based on their previous Wakakirri experience. Factors considered include;
- Number of years /times schools have participated
- Participation as a finalist school in previous years
- Footsteps’ Schools
Divisions are represented by numbers (e.g. Division 1). The overall number of schools and variation of experience determine the number of divisions. If there is more than one division, Division 1 will be the highest grade.
If you have any concerns you can call the Wakakirri Head Office and discuss what division your school will be in. Schools can request to have their division changed if, for example there has been a high staff changeover at the school and experienced teachers have left.
A Primary School Story-Dance is a 3-7 minute story performed on stage to pre-recorded music, using a blend of creative movement, dancing and acting.
It is essential the item tell a story. Schools can tell any story they wish. The story should be progressive (orientation, complication, resolution), appropriate and relevant to the performers.
The story should be told using a combination of creative movement, dancing and acting. Other elements such as lighting, soundtrack, voiceovers, sets, props and costumes should only be used to enhance the telling of the story. They should not be used to tell the story.
A Primary School Story-Dance item should have sets, props and costumes that are well utilised and not gratuitous. Schools should practise reduce, reuse and recycle when considering their props, sets and costumes.
Outline of Criteria
The story (orientation, complication, resolution) should be progressive, appropriate, and relevant to the performers.
- Clarity, progression, structure
- Imagination and creativity in delivery
- Appropriate & relevant to performers/stage crew
The blending of creative movement and acting to tell the story
- Blending , characterisation, creativity of creative movement and acting
- How well rehearsed was the item overall?
- How well did the staging enhance the telling of the story?
The soundtrack should enhance the telling of the story. Lyrical content MUST be G rated.
- Creativity & originality
- Enhanced the telling of the story
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
When contemplating sets, props and costumes schools should stick to the 3 R’s: REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE. REDUCE the number of sets by only creating what is necessary. Props, sets & costumes should be borrowed or made from REUSED and RECYCLABLE materials. Props, sets & costumes should be REUSABLE, easy to transport, and easy/safe for performers to lift, move and/or wear. Where appropriate, props, sets & costumes should be dismantled and put in RECYCLING bins at the conclusion of a performance.
- How well has the school embraced these concepts? *See additional information under ‘Sustainable Rules’
- Primary Schools attend a Performance Night.
- Certificates are mailed out to schools once the Performance Night Season is complete in their State.
- Where possible every school receives at least one award from each of the Wakakirri Award Categories on their certificate (except for the Story Award).
- Schools are categorised into one of the Story Award Categories after the Performance Night Series.
- Selected schools are invited to perform at an Awards Night (where applicable) to determine the State Winner of ‘Best Story Dance’.
- Each school selected to perform at Awards Night must have received a ‘Best’ award from within the Story Award Category. E.g. Best Blockbuster or Best Comedy. Only one school can win a “Best” Award from each category.
- Schools are placed in Divisions at Awards Nights based on their experience.
- The State Winner of Best Story (in each Division) is announced at the Awards night
- The State Winner of Best Story (in each Division) is nominated for National ‘Story of the Year’ Award.
Non Competitive Division
Wakakirri values participation and welcomes schools who do not wish to compete. Wakakirri Performance Nights are a celebration of participation with the competition element played down and no placings announced until the end of the series. Schools who do not wish to compete but would like to perform will not feel out of place.
- Art House Story
- Inspirational Story
- Dramatic Story
- Historical Story
- Current Affairs Story
- Raising Awareness Story
- Environmental Story
- Mental Health Story
- Cultural Story
- Adapted Story
- Original Story
- Health Story (Clean Kids)
- Reconciliation Story (Reconciliation Australia)
- Judge’s Choice
- Drama Production
- Dance Production
- Combination of Dance and Drama
- Show stopping group dance
- Impressive Finale
- Amazing Moment
- Set Change
- Use of Signature Item
- Solo Dance
- Solo Acting
- Group Dance
- Group Acting
- Combination of Dancing and Acting
- Creative Movement
- Well-Rehearsed Performance
SETS & COSTUMES AWARDS
- Individual Costume Design – Judged on one nominated piece
- Overall Costume Design
- Individual Piece of Set – Judged on one nominated piece
- Overall Set Design
- Artwork on Sets
- Makeup and Hair– Judged on three nominated pieces
- Stage Crew
- Sustainable Production
- Creative Use of Reusable Materials
- Environmental awareness
SHOW AWARDS (Presented at all Performance and Awards Nights)
- Student Participation certificate – Presented to every student
- School Participation Certificate – Presented to every school
- Best Teamwork Award – Presented for a school’s conduct during their rehearsals and performance
- Best School in Public Award- Presented for a school’s conduct throughout the whole day
- Best Public Speaking Award – Presented to the three Student Representatives who spoke after their performance
- Best Story Dance – National Winner – awarded to one school in Australia
- Most Sustainable Production Award – awarded to one school in Australia
- Best Story Dance – State Winner – awarded to one school in each State and Territory across all divisions.
- Most Sustainable Production Award – Awarded to one school in each State and Territory across all divisions
- Best Story Dance – Division Winner – awarded to one school from each Division